Monday, January 25

STEWARDING- Chanter concert


CHANTER.
23rd  January 2010- 6.30pm

  Today for my work based learning, I was asked if I would like to Steward again but for a local band called Chanter. One of my tutors is a band member and most of our lessons we have are based on Community music.. I thought that this second experience would benefit me more, in the area of Community Music and to take what I have learnt from Stewarding at the Baka Beyond concert...
you can read about this here:


(BLOG- BAKA BEYOND)


AIM:
Using previous knowledge from the previous stewarding I can develop my experiences and widen my range of experiences that I am open to by exploring different ways to work and understand different aspects of stewarding. 


OBJECTIVES: 
  • To know to my fullest ability what to do in an emergency as this is very important!! 
  • Risk Assessments
  • To know where all the fire exits/extinguishers are situated.
  • Cater to any needs of the public.
  • Checking tickets.
  • Box Office/on the door
  • Ushering etc.
  • Helping in any way I can to gain valuable experience.
  • Ask necessary questions widen my range of understanding.














Hello followers :) 

Chanter "are a 4-piece Celtic band with roots in Ireland and Scotland. The band has toured extensively on the continent, performed at Cambridge Folk Festival, the Dart Festival, West Country Story Telling Festival and supported Fairport, amongst others. The current line up features fiddles, mandola, guitar, percussion and djembe, as well as great singing. Chanter play traditional and contemporary celtic music, and pretty much have a good time. So will you." 
Chanter :)

 I thought this would be enabling  experience as it is my second time of stewarding.

Also for me to give constructive criticism to my tutor, as he is apart of the band... different situation!!


(ABOVE: my tutor. Steve Banks.)

I took on a lot more than I thought I was able to. Their were many jobs.

  • The Box Office: Which included checking tickets, selling and checking the tickets off from the e-ticket list. They had reservation numbers which had to be checked against the numbers we had.








  • Manning the doors: This I found is a very important job as entrances get quite busy and can get quite hectic. Normally they want to retain the ticket stubs for numbers in case of an emergency I learnt this from the other stewarding session. It came in useful as at the interval people wanted to go outside for smoking areas etc. 
They were made to take there stub with them so if we were to count we wouldn't be having extra stubs to miscount. 
 
Also any problems at the door can slow the people coming in and out and block an emergency exit- so problems were delt with efficienly and as quick as possible a problem I can remember is that they had paid Online and they were not on the sheet, as I work in a supermarket I am used to having problems including refunds etc. I made sure they had printed off a receipt- proof of purchase is really important, they did so their unique number off the top was take and a contact number.




  • Customer service is a big YESYESYES!!! :D Customers are the people who you are there to please with everything you can help with just like anywhere. They come first!


  • Risk Assessment: Before the performance started, the stewards gave it their best shots to learn how to fill a risk assessment sheet. This was the most important part of the evening. As I haven't ever completed a live risk assessment (only in the classroom) it really was helpful for the future as I learn by actually doing. Doing this and having it checked over was a really effective way of learning from your mistakes if you did something wrong. 
 If there was a problem, If you have it on your sheet you can say that you have thought about the problem. A problem that you put down has to have a solution- SO there are no problems. :) 

The Performance:I felt the first song go straight through me, very raw. The singer had a very good voice, and his dynamic range was pretty incredible. The band communication was professional but at the beginning "getting started" bands don't have to count in.. e.g. 1.2.3.1234... Towards the end I felt it was tighter, and they had more times where you felt it- SO they didn't say anything they were feeling the music.






The timing was spot on and precise. Having harmonies incorporated whilst they were playing was very effective. Relationships between the group/audience and each other were very interactive.


The Interval brought people to the main stall by the entrance. To buy the CDs. I thought it was bad publicity for them as they didn't announce that they were for sale, so we had people coming to ask us if there were any for sale, or how they could get some.
Out of 222 people only 11 bought CDs.




GemmDave




No comments: